Monday, August 26, 2013

Moneyball (2011)

What's up everyone, how's it going?
Today I'm reviewing Moneyball, the true story of how Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland Athletics successfully managed to rebuild his team using computer analysis of players. Not really an interest grabbing description, I know, but trust me, this  film is well worth the 133 minutes it takes to watch, everyone of which is filled with drama. I can't remember how many times I have watched this masterpiece because it's just so captivating. The story is a moving one of the Oakland A's who are in every way an underdog team but even more touching is the tale of the GM, played by Brad Pitt, who chose to try playing for the New York Mets instead of going to Stanford but couldn't take the pressure. Years later, he's in charge of a team who can't face up to the financial power of the Yankees. Brad Pit and Jonah Hill play the leading roles and their relationship really helps the film have a more personal touch but most powerful by far is the music. If you have seen The Social Network, think of that music and its role. If not, it's atmospheric, emotional, stirring and emotive. Here are two examples I found on YouTube: 
It's a Process http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJu0bNJKA6c
The Mighty Rio Grande http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxhi4yoIFWY
As with all sports movies, there are some great inspirational moments which is why I love them so much but this film in particular has to be one of the best!

It's HAHE time!
Humour - 4/10 Although low on the jokes, the banter between Brad and Jonah keep this film funny while still maintaining the slightly sorrowful story line. 
Action - 3/10 Low on the action scale as most of the film is shot in the back offices as the main characters rebuild the team but there are still some good scenes of games and of the camp as the new squad is tested out.
Horror - 0/10 No horror in this one whatsoever so suitable for all ages.  
Entertainment - 10/10 This film is one of my favourites of all time and so, in my opinion, is worthy of the 10. I advise anyone right now to go and watch this epic, heart felt film and experience the journey it takes you on. 

The best film I've seen in years which deserves way more than the 7.6 stars it gets on IMDb. Hopefully you have enjoyed this review but let me know in the comments section or by emailing me at thefan@biggins.eu - I'm interested to hear your thoughts!

This is Ed the Fan, signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment